The CRS provides consulting services on a range of software and data sources used in social science research. The Research Service provides support to a range of users in the College and across the campus.
Staff can assist with questions regarding the use of CRS computers, as well as statistical and data-related programming. Limited statistical consulting also is available on both basic and intermediate methods including multiple regression, crosstabs, t-tests, and other procedures. In addition, our staff is knowledgeable about social science data sources and provides access to a variety of data sources.
The Computational Research Service supports the following statistical packages:
- R (UNIX, Windows)
- SAS (UNIX, Windows)
- SPSS (Mac, Windows)
- Stata (UNIX, Windows)
In addition, the CRS supports the specialized applications and tools:
- Absoft Fortran with IMSL Fortran Numerical Libraries. The IMSL Fortran Library is a complete collection of mathematical and statistical algorithms.
- Amos (Windows). AMOS (Analysis of Moment Structures) is an SPSS add-on which allows modeling of structural analysis and covariance structures, path analysis, and has the more basic capabilities such as linear regression analysis, ANOVA and ANCOVA.
- EViews (Windows). EViews is a statistical package used mainly for time-series oriented econometric analysis.
- GAUSS (Widows, UNIX). GAUSS is a matrix programming language for mathematics and statistics, primarily used for the solution of numerical problems in statistics, econometrics,
- Matlab (Windows, UNIX). MATLAB® is a high-level language and interactive environment that enables you to perform computationally intensive tasks faster than with traditional programming languages such as C, C++, and Fortran.
- Data manipulation and translation services. Simple file conversions and subsetting can be done with Stat/Transfer, a commercial applications package. For more complex data management and manipulation issues, consult John Daniels. Tex, OmniPage, PDF Converter, Adobe Acrobat Pro and PhotoShop Elements, and MySQL are available. The programming languages Perl, C and Fortran are also available.
- GIS applications and tools. ArcViewGIS and Microsoft MapPoint provide limited GIS capabilities.